Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why read the Bible?: What Jesus says about the Word (Part 2)

Now that we know the word has this function is to sanctify us by washing us and cleansing us, How do we actually apply the verses in Ephesians 5:25-27? Alright, let's go back to John 17. In John 17:17 it says "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." Here we see that the truth sanctifies, and the word of Jesus is the truth. Alright so what does Jesus say about His own words? John 6:32-33, 35 says "Jesus therefore said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Moses has not given you the bread out of heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread out of heaven./ For the bread of God is He who comes down out of heaven and gives life to the world../Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall by no means hunger, and he who believes into Me shall by no means ever thirst." Here Jesus just directly tells them that He is the real manna coming out of heaven from God, the bread of life!! In John 6:54-55, Jesus continues on to say " He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up in the last day./ For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink." Surely, Jesus was not a cannibal say eat my flesh and drink my blood. So what does he mean by this? In John 6:57, He even says "As the living Father has sent Me and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also shall live because of Me." WHAT!?!? Alright, so this is where it all comes together. John 6:63, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words which I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." So everything that Jesus said was in reference to this verse. Since the Spirit gives life and the flesh is basically no good, what Jesus want is to actually eat His word, not His actually flesh at the given time He was talking to the people.

1 comment:

  1. haha right! Jesus was NOT a cannibal! He wants us to eat His word! I like the illustration of our need for physical food. I know that I eat physical food multiple times a day, so likewise we should eat the Word in a similar way! The Bible is our nourishment and supply! :)

    ReplyDelete